Registration is free but required – sign up here.
This workshop will investigate these and other hidden website structures with a hackathon-like methodology of play and exploration. After an hour of short, fairly low-tech tutorials to introduce tools and methodologies, participants will spend 1.5-hours digging across the web. All levels of technical expertise will be encouraged.
Some of the tools introduced will be:
- Expert Google searching, such as how to only return .mil websites
- How to view the source code of a page
- Searching and regular expressions for extracting content from pages
- Using the wget command to automatically download an entire website
- Firefox's Developer Tools, which can show the CSS rules applied to a given object on the page, as well as a very interesting "3D View", which displays the physical nesting of HTML tags as an interactive 3D model